Pages

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Where to Start?

PCOS affects so many facets of our daily lives.  Food, exercise, skin condition, hair condition, weight, emotions, pain and on and on and on...  Where does someone with PCOS even start?  Changing your entire life and way of thinking isn't going to happen over night.

My suggestion is to prioritize what you want to change.  Make a list of what symptoms or difficulties of PCOS frustrate you the most.  I generally limit my list to three items at a time, once I tackle one of those items, I re-evaluate and add another frustration.

So for me, here is what my list might look like.

1.  I am frustrated that I have had fertility issues.
2.  I can't lose weight!
3.  I am an emotional roller coaster.

After I make this list, I write down two things I can do EACH day without fail to help tackle each item.  This can be a hard part because you have to commit to doing this every day, or you will find that you are overwhelmed and end up giving up.  I try to choose small things to do.  For example, if you struggle with your weight and you exercise for 15 minutes a day, try to make a goal to add an additional 5 minutes.  Also, phrase these as "I will" instead of "I will try."  By saying you are going to do something, you are more likely to actually follow through because there isn't an out!

Here is how I might expand my list:

1.  I am frustrated that I have had fertility issues.
~I will read one article a day dealing with infertility to learn more and stay up-to-date on current research
~I will talk to others about my feelings

2.  I can't lose weight!
~I will add an extra 5-10 minutes of physical activity to my schedule
~I will replace all beverages I drink with water instead (except my morning milk!)

3.  I am an emotional roller coaster.~I will make 10 minutes for myself each day to do something for myself
~I will go to bed on time in order to get adequate sleep

After making these mini-goals, put your plan into action.  As you look at my list, I would like to point out that even if I did each and every one of those items it would take about an additional 30 minutes out of my day if I did them individually, but I could combine the physical activity with doing something for myself and not really increase the energy put out by much at all.  However, winning the battle does take commitment, and you are WORTH the time it takes!

Look for my next post on the next steps to take and how rewards help and that hitting a plateau or taking steps backward is okay!

0 comments:

Post a Comment