Pages

Friday, May 13, 2011

Please Don't Judge Me Because I am Fat

Last night I participated in a Walk-A-Thon for our local school district.  I walked 7.25 miles.  I am the heaviest I have ever been, and I can still go out and walk 7.25 on a whim.  Two weeks ago I walked 7.5 miles in Bloomsday.  A month ago I did 3 miles in the local fun run. 

My point is, I am heavy, I am considered obese, yet, I can go out and walk such distances without it phasing me.  So what does this mean?  I firmly feel it means that my muscles are strong and my lungs are in decent shape, I just am carrying around an extra 60 lbs on this small frame.  I am not making excuses, my goal has been and will always be to stay in shape and try to trim off those extra pounds.  But I am living proof that one can be heavy and still be active.

I will admit, I used to be one of those people who would look at someone heavy and think "Boy, they need to lay off of the chips and burgers and get moving."  No longer.  I don't always eat perfectly, in fact this past weekend, I literally fell off the bus of any so called diet I was trying.  But, I am not sedentary.  I do not sit and shove food in my face and watch television.  And yet, I know people look at me and think "Boy, she needs to lay off of the chips and burgers and get moving." 

Through my struggles, I have realized a few things.  Fat doesn't always mean lazy.  Fat doesn't mean that people aren't trying.  Fat isn't always because people are shoveling food in their faces.  Fat can be a result of nasty diseases like PCOS.  Now I am the one who cowers when in public, thinking that all eyes are on me and disecting the food on my plate and judging my choices.

But, that doesn't mean I will give up.  I don't want to be fat.  I don't want to be obese.  I want to fit back into my size 7 jeans or even size 9.  But, even if I reach my goal, I will never judge anyone on their weight again.  Ever.  It was said perfectly by a young girl last evening at the Walk-A-Thon, "You are you, and that's just how you were made."  What an amazing insight. 

So, consider your weaknesses and realize that, "You are you, and that's just how you were made," and be proud of you.

3 comments:

  1. Christine: I would never consider you fat or obese. I think you are a beautiful, strong, funny, loving mother and wife. You are YOU!!! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true and so well written and I'm sorry that still happens. It sucks that people can be so judgemental (I was there too) but I don't judge anymore either because I've been there and am there. I've been thinking about this lately too-maybe I'll write something on my site about it. You are beautiful no matter what size you are-you are the sweetest, kindest, most loving person I know! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great piece of writing. I also struggle with PCOS and weight gain, but every weekend i am walking and on excersise regimes trying my hardest. Thankyou for writing about this. x

    ReplyDelete