Pages

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Tackling Vacation Food (part 2): Visiting Relatives

In my previous post on Tackling Vacation Food (part 1), I discussed how it is important to regulate your food based on what type of vacation you are taking.  I broke vacation "types" into three different categories, family adventures (active vacations), visiting relatives (something we all do at some time in our life!) and destination vacations (cruises, Disneyland, you know, the fun ones!!!).  This post is going to discuss how to tackle healthy eating habits when visiting relatives.  Follow the link above if you haven't read "part 1" in the series!

Eating healthy at home is hard enough, throw in a vacation and "poof!" you have a disaster in the making.  Then add on the fact you are visiting family, it is a perfect storm!  Now, if the relatives you are visiting are heathly vegetable eaters that exercise daily, there might not be much of an issue.  However, I am not so lucky. 

I love my family, more than anything, but I have to paint a picture.  Have you seen the movie "My Big Fat Greek Wedding"?  Well, that is what I face when I visit my family, the only difference is we're Eastern European!  My family can cook. Oh, how they can cook awesome food! And it just keeps coming and coming and coming and, well, you know...  Anyway, going to our family events is hard because everyone makes such incredible food and it isn't particularly healthy.  Over the years, I have come up with a few tactical moves that have helped...

Let's start at the beginning with the actual act of travelling.  If I am travelling by car, I use the same approach that I did in the previous post on tackling vacation food.  I plan ahead, pack healthy snacks, plan meals, etc.  Why this doesn't translate well into travelling by airplane, I don't know.  I do pack our carry-ons with a few healthy snacks, but it seems easier to just purchase snacks at the airport after security.  So the first challenge I face is AIRPORT food. There are so many choices, a person just doesn't know what to choose.  First tip---don't give in to the fast food (I am still trying to convince myself not too)!  If there is enough time, we will choose to sit down at a restaurant that serves real food instead.  If you don't have enough time, you can actually get decent salads and sandwiches at most deli stands at airports.  I also make sure we have a bottle or two of water so we don't fight dehydration (so important!).

Now when you get to your destination and settle into a family member's house, you have to remember to make your health a priority.  It shouldn't offend anyone if you stop at a grocery store to stock up on healthy foods.  If it does, my attitude is that it is their problem.  Really, I know it is hard with family, but you have to just not let it get to you.  I have learned that I have to look out for Number 1 or there is no way I can look out for anyone else.  Plus, in reality, if you are staying at a family member's house, helping with groceries for the trip isn't a bad idea anyway. 

My suggestion for a first line of combat is to pick up healthy breakfast items (low-fat milk, oats, high-fiber cereal, fruit) and also pick up the makings of an incredible salad (throw in a "I don't want to be a burden, I can make a salad for all the meals that will make your mouth water!") and I also pick up some bottled water (sometimes travelling and drinking the water can mess with your system).  So, when you leave the grocery you should have a good defense line built. 

I recommend eating a salad with every lunch and dinner on vacation---and eat it first.  It will fill your stomach so even if you eat food that is bad for you, you won't likely eat as much.  I also recommend trying to eat at a relative's house as much as possible instead of doing the restaurant thing because going out to eat is when it becomes easier and easier to loosen the strings of controlled eating.  If you do eat out, make sure you are looking for something that is not fried or does not have rich sauces on it.  Also, choose iced tea (unsweetened) instead of a soda.

So, that takes care of the regular days, but if your family is anything like mine, we always have huge family gatherings.  This is where I get into BIG trouble.  I suggest drinking some water before you eat.  Then, peruse all the options and you'll generally find that someone made a green salad or brought some fresh fruit or a veggie tray.  I suggest filling at least two-thirds of your plate with these items.  Then, go ahead and sample the good stuff; just sample in moderation.  Then, LET THE FOOD SETTLE.  Do not go back for seconds right away.  If you do, it will be a disaster.  Wait 15-20 minutes, then if there is something you REALLY want, get a moderate second serving.  Or, here is your chance to get a small dessert or sample a couple desserts.  Again, moderation is the key.  Eat it slowly.  Savor the taste.  You will find you get just as much satisfaction out of half of a brownie as you do a whole brownie if you eat it slower and take small bites.  Promise! :-)

I also really try to prepare my mind to make good choices.  It might sound stupid, but I will even do a run through it in my head.  I imagine Grandma coming up to me and saying, "Here, eat, eat, eat..."  Then I imagine myself looking at her and saying, "I promise I am not going to starve, Grandma, and I love your cooking.  I will eat when I am hungry."  I have a very strong willed grandmother and guess what?  It has worked!

As hard as it might seem, a little preparation and planning will allow you to get through your vacation without expanding your waistline! 

Here are a few more tips:
~Request to cook a meal and choose something that is healthy for you!
~Go for walks daily---it is a great time to visit with family too!
~Drink a lot of water---it will keep you hydrated and keep you eating less.
~Be active, go shopping, to an amusement park, to a zoo, something so you aren't just sitting!

Also read: Tackling Vacation Food (part 1): Family Adventures and still to come, Tackling Vacation Food (part 3): Destination Vacations!
Me with my strong willed Grandma Adams on a trip to visit her in Ohio!

1 comment:

  1. Your posts are so inspiring! I usually end up writing about something you mentioned in your post because it brings up things I've dealt with too..so nice to have someone know what it's all about!

    ReplyDelete