Pages

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The Diet Game

 Dieting.  Yuck.  We have all played the Diet Game before, and most of us lose, even those who don't have PCOS. 

There are so many diets to choose from too.  South Beach.  HCG.  Atkins.  Mayo Clinic.  Jenny Craig.  Weight Watchers.  The Pyramid Diet.  Glycemic Index.  That is just a few off the top of my head!

So how do we process all this conflicting information?  As a society we generally ignore it and run to the store to grab a bag a chips, a pop and a brownie!  That probably isn't the answer, but I would bet a high percentage of people would admit that is what they have done!

What is the best diet?  That is going to depend.  Probably not the answer that anyone wants to hear.  But, I will tell you what has been successful for me. 

I generally follow what I would call a "good carbs that are high in fiber and low in sugar and good fat" diet, probably closest to the South Beach Diet but with my own modifications.  I do not cut all starches out of my diet.  When I have done that, I go crazy.  Yes, that probably means I am a carb addict (oh, there is another diet name, the Carbohydrate Addict's Diet), but I think that by denying yourself what you crave the most, you are more likely to end in a crash landing.

What are good carbs?  Good carbs include many vegetables, fruits, beans, nuts and whole grains.  What then are bad carbs?  Sugars, processed or "white" grains, most baked goods, alcohol and so on.  It really can be broken down to foods that are not processed very much to those that are highly processed.  Take "minute" rice for example.  In order get the rice to cook in a minute, it is highly processed and much of the fiber is removed.  Brown rice, on the other hand, will often take up to 45 minutes to cook as it takes that long to "soften" up the fiber.  I will get more specific on the high fiber and low sugar portion in a minute.

What about good fats?  This generally includes lean meats, vegetable oils and low fat dairy products.  Bad fats would include fatty meats (hamburger), high-fat dairy and some oils.  I also try to avoid a lot of sauces, unless they are vegetable or chicken broth based, because otherwise they tend to be extremely high in bad fats.

I really feel the critical part of how my successful eating is the high fiber items that are low in sugars.  That means a LOT of vegetables, legumes and low sugar fruits.  My goal is to eat 30-35g of fiber per day (do not attempt to get there overnight!).  I do try to avoid vegetables and fruit that are high in sugar content (corn, beets, bananas, pineapple and watermelon).  I firmly feel that lack of fiber in our every day diet is part of the reason so many people struggle with weight these days.

Maintaining the healthy eating is not easy.  Food preparation often takes more time (check out my previous post on commiting to myself: Why Can't I Commit to Myself?)  Eating out is harder.  Socially your conscious about every move you make regarding food (another previous post: Please Don't Judge Me Because I am Fat).  And, bad food just tastes better.  How can anyone make it work?

When it is working well for me, it is because my entire family is on board.  I just can't do it alone.  It makes it easier when the whole family sits down to dinner and eats the same food.  And, truthfully, the "diet" I have described is really a healthy eating plan for most average people.  It is also easier when you go out to dinner and your husband orders chicken breast, with vegetables and a salad, with the dressing on the side and an unsweetened iced tea rather than a huge burger with fries and a salad slathered in ranch dressing with a Coke. 

Eating healthy isn't an option for those with PCOS.  If we don't, the future implications are just too grim.  It IS hard to eat healthy.  I fall out of the boat, a lot, but I know the basics of nutrition and what works for me, so it is easy to get back in again.  The "Diet Game" doesn't work, to make real change is a must.  I am not sure I will ever get it, but I have to try!

I am NOT a doctor or dietician.  The above eating plan is based solely on my research.  Please consult a doctor or dietician before changing your eating or exercise plan!

0 comments:

Post a Comment