Pages

Monday, April 25, 2011

My Basic Philosophy

As much as I would like to, I can't write everything I have learned over the past 10 years in one post! So, I am writing an outline that I will post in the next few days highlighting what I have done and haven't done with specific symptoms and whatnot. But, in the meantime, here is a basic breakdown of what I do to cope!

1) Most of the time I follow a modified South Beach Diet, when I say modified, it is very modified. I eat lean meat (elk and lean beef). I stay away from WHITE starches as much as possible: white rice, potatoes (the HARDEST thing to do!), and pasta. I do eat whole grain varieties of the items listed above, but only in moderation. In addition, I aim for 30 grams of fiber via food items per day. I really don't look at other things besides the fiber content but you'll find if you look at fiber, you are generally eating lower calorie foods like vegetables. I also avoid sugar. I will outline my meal ideas for you in a later post!

2) I exercise. It hurts, it is painful, it is necessary. Unfortunately to do much good you have to increase your metabolism, which means cardio. I am not a skinny doctor telling you have to exercise, I am an overweight fellow PCOS sufferer and I really do understand how hard it is. There is a basic weightloss formula:

For weightloss: Calories spent - Caloric intake = Loss or Gain. Your calories spent MUST be greater than caloric intake in order to lose weight. What about the fact that PCOS sufferers have a very SLOW metabolism? My goal is to increase my metabolism. I find if I eat what I listed above plus do cardio 4-5 times a week for 45 minutes, I can literally FEEL the boost in my metabolism.

3) I really try to be positive. Right now with the economy tight around the world and extra stress, this is REALLY hard. But, I try to read each night to clear my mind. I try to take time when I am eating lunch and just block out the world. This is THE hardest thing for me to do.

4) Sleep is critical. When I don't sleep well, I don't eat well, I don't exercise, and I am not positive.

These for things, along with medication (at times) have really helped me push back at my symptoms and tell them I am not having anything to do with them. I have definitely strayed from this "basic philosophy," including a current detour but in the end I always come back to the same ideas and get my PCOS back under control. Look for more posts soon on what I do in these areas to help!


Please note: I am not a medical doctor nor am I an expert on PCOS nor do I pretend to be.  Everything I write is from personal experience and based on my research.  Please contact your doctor before you change your diet or exercise intensity or falter from your treatment program.

0 comments:

Post a Comment