Pages

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Exercise: Think of it as an Adventure!

If you have read any of my previous posts, you'll know that I am an athlete; just because I am an out of shape athlete that struggles with my weight doesn't mean that in my heart I am not still an athlete.  I live for the "high" of finishing a race or playing in a game or hiking up a mountain.  It is my understanding that not everyone experiences this.  I find that hard to imagine, but as my husband is as anti-exercise as they come, I know that it must be possible!

After making many reflections back over the years, I realize that no matter what I do to exercise, I pick an activity I enjoy, which may be why I am able to reach that "high."  Pounding out miles on a treadmill just doesn't interest me, so, of course it will be boring and dull and feel like work.  Right now my exercise primarily consists of hiking up the mountain behind my house, and once the snow is gone (isn't is almost May?), I will dig out my bike and add that to my routine.  I like to explore new routes and find new paths so it adds variety to my life.  I also have "enlisted" my husband and daughter into embracing the exercise lifestyle, even though as I mentioned before my husband despises exercise.  Through the years, as I have tried to convince him that it is good for him, I have realized he is much more apt to take part if I don't say, "Honey, let's go exercise!"  I change the wording and say "Let's go for an adventure as a family." Taking a walking adventure with the family, for some reason, doesn't sound as intimidating as exercise to my husband.

My guess is that occurs with many people.  Do I enjoy putting the miles on a treadmill?  Heck no!  But, going on an adventure and exploring new routes can make something that sounds dull and boring really appeal to the non-exerciser!  My daughter has even picked up some of the enthusiasm, when we go for walks we "explore" and make "scientific observations."  I really think people associate exercise with going to a gym and sweating for hours on a treadmill.  I have never enjoyed this.  Even when the weather is poor and I have to ride a stationary bike, I read a book or watch a movie while I am doing it.  I also have competitions with myself and see how long I can stay above a certain RPM.  My mind never settles on, "Oh man, I am just sitting here going nowhere."  In my head, I am going somewhere. 

I guess the biggest thing I have realized over my lifetime is that you can mix good old fashion exercise into your daily routine without making a point of saying "This is exercise."  I think that when you do it in a more subconscious fashion, you can really enjoy the moment, AND get the benefit of a healthy lifestyle. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment