Pages

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Does That Really Taste Good?

There is something I have been thinking a lot about lately as I fight my continuous battle with weight. Does food taste the same to all of us? I watch health food blogs and posts from my super fit friends on my Facebook page and think, "Do they really like that? Really? Hmmm...maybe I will try that recipe."

So then I try the recipe and GAG and think, "Do they really like the taste or do they just fake it? Does it taste different to them than it did to me?"

Or maybe there is something deeper than that? Maybe there is something in our genetic makeup that makes some foods more appealing than others? Could it be possible that those of us that do struggle with our weight actually taste something different than those that don't struggle thus making healthier choices unappealing?

We do know that struggling with weight, especially for those of us with PCOS, can often times be associated with insulin issues and carbohydrate "addiction" but do you think maybe it could actually be more than that, right down to our sense of taste?

The truth is that I like vegetables. I like fruit. I like healthy food. But, so many times the things that are supposed to be so flavorful or so tasty by other testimonials just don't taste good to me. Am I the only one that this happens to? Or am I just not determined enough to enjoy the new recipes? Or does it just go back to carbohydrate addiction?

Hmmm...I really don't know the answer, but it is something I am going to continue to ponder and to research. And, I will continue trying new, healthy recipes with an open mind and hopefully along the way figure out some new recipes that appeal to me AND help with my battle with PCOS!

5 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading your blogs. I think you should continue taking care of your body. Eat right so you'll always feel right. My cancer alternative treatment center likes this so much. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris, check out this link to diverse taste perceptions. It's very interesting. My sister loves salty foods and I have an incurrable sweet tooth. Raised in the same household and ate the same food growing up. Completely different tastes in foods. Also, some things ARE an acquired taste. I never ate spicey food growing up and its taken 30 years to acquire a taste for it. But now I love it. Your tastes will change over time too. Food you didn't like as a child may now be appealing to you, so try again and see if you might like something you previously didn't care for.

    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1698869/?tool=pmcentrez

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think people really do taste stuff differently. For example my BF continues complaining about the sour taste of tomatoes, which do not at all taste sour to me! Maybe it's genetic (or trained), who knows...

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are such things as "super tasters"! I believe picky eaters have more taste buds than most and therefore things that are healthy and tolerable to most are the things that make me, a picky eater, gag! Also things such as smoking, sinus issues and allergies can inhibit our taste buds, thus furthering ones inability to taste something truly. I have never smoked in my life nor do I have sinus or allergy problems, making my taste buds even stronger. Also, your taste buds die as you age, another reason why picky eaters are less picky as they get older!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a sign of gratitude for how my wife was saved from PCOS, i decided to reach out to those still suffering from this.
    My wife suffered pcos in the year 2013 and it was really tough and heartbreaking for me because he was my all and the symptoms were terrible, she always complain of heavy menstruation, and he always have difficulty falling asleep . we tried various therapies prescribed by our neurologist but none could cure her. I searched for a cure and i saw a testimony by someone who was cured and so many other with similar body problem, and he left the contact of the doctor who had the cure to pcos . I never imagined polycystic ovary syndrome. has a natural cure not until i contacted him and he assured me my wife will be fine. I got the herbal medication he recommended and my wife used it and in one months time he was fully okay even up till this moment he is so full of life. polycystic ovary syndrome. has a cure and it is a herbal cure contact the doctor for more info on drwilliams098765@gmail.com on how to get the medication. Thanks for reading my story

    ReplyDelete